5 Things to Do in Downtown Shreveport on Labor Day Weekend
Stroll down Spring Street on Friday nights on an Artwalk that offers multiple stops, plenty of artists, and lots of fun. The Grove takes the Wayback Machine back to the 80s with a bit of prom-themed shopping. Labor Day weekend lands with music and dancing and a Southern Soul and Blues Fest and celebrates the sounds of musician Charley Crockett with his concert at The Strand and a Crockett “Pre” on Crockett. We’re also a dollop of tunes and art in our #CoolDowntown.
1. Downtown Shreveportk returns Friday night with multiple venues, art and artists, food and drink, history talk, exhibit opening, building tour, face painting, l crafts and shopping. Stroll, swing, or stroll down Spring Street from the Remington to the Lot and several stops along the way for an evening of free, family-friendly fun! When: Fri., Sept. 2, 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Where: Start at Remington Suites Hotel & Spa, 220 Travis St. Cost: Free. Info: downtownshreveport.com/artwalk
2. The grove returns with a 80s prom night. Get your ‘do on, grab your biggest shoulder pads, and head to 107 Spring Street to eat, socialize, selfies, and shop. Enjoy the vendors and food of Mi Meza Latin Cuisine on Friday nights and the shopping and fun on Saturday and Sunday. When: Friday to Sunday, September 2 to 4. Where: 107 Spring St. Cost: Free admission. Info: FB/the grove shreveport
3. It’s a long holiday weekend and that means an extra day for fun and music. HAZE over Texas kicks you off in style on Saturday with an All White Affair, a Rooftop White Party and music from DJ Crowdpleaser and BSmoove, as well as the bands Front Cover and Alter Ego! Come dressed in your best for an evening of entertainment. When: Sat., Sept. 3, 9 p.m.-2 a.m. Where: Haze on Texas, 204 Texas St. Cost: Free. $69/$229. Info: Fb/ haze over Texas
4. Shreveport Blues and Southern Soul Pre Labor Day Blues Fest lands at Festival Plaza on Sunday, September 4 with music from J’Cena, TK Soul, Till1, Jaye Hammer and Wendell B. Come for the food, family and music, then stay and play this 11th annual weekend of Labor Day tradition. When: Sunday, September 4, 4 p.m. – until. Where: Festival Square. Cost: $30/$400. Info: Fb/southern blues and southern soul
5. Charley Crockett fans rejoiced when their country hero booked a show at the Strand Theater on September 6 and now there are even more opportunities to enjoy the night. The Andress Artist and Entrepreneur Center is hosting an “unofficial” pre-concert party they call Crafts on Crockett, but we call Crockett on Crockett, with beer, cocktails, live music, artists, a raffle and who knows what else. All we know for sure is that it’s going to be lively, and you’re invited. When: Tuesday, September 6, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Where: AAEC, 717 Crockett St. Cost: Free admission. Info: Fb/craft on crockett