City-owned motel now temporarily houses homeless seniors
This message was originally published in the morning report of June 6. Get the free daily newsletter delivered to your inbox by signing up here.
Mayor Todd Gloria’s office revealed Friday that the city was using a South Bay hotel it purchased in 2017 to temporarily house homeless residents awaiting permanent housing.
The town previously housed homeless families at the motel. The city announced last year that it would relocate the families to continue its earlier vision for the facility to house participants in a diversion program for offenders.
Gloria’s office said it decided to temporarily use the 42-room facility as a non-congregate shelter that prioritizes homeless seniors tied to assisted housing, supportive housing or to a housing voucher who have not yet secured permanent housing.
The city plans to use the hotel as a non-congregate shelter until City Attorney Mara Elliott’s office and the county relaunch the so-called San Diego Misdemeanants At-Risk Track (SMART) program, which is now expected to occur. this autumn.
More city shelter additions are expected in the coming months. Gloria’s office said this spring that it plans to pursue a new shelter project and two non-collective sites for families later this year. A new shelter for women and Midway District tent shelters are already making progress.